Monday, May 23, 2005

Dream On

My scariest dream is one that I also had a very long time ago. It's a recurring nightmare that started sometime between the ages of six and eight. I was fifteen the last time I had it (that I'm aware of, anyway).

It's late afternoon on a summer day. My mother and I are somewhere in the middle of a line of women and girls that stretches as far as I can see in both directions. To my immediate right is a trench is about six feet wide by six feet deep. We are ordered at gunpoint to enter the trench and lay down.

I look up to see men and boys standing on the edge of the trench, looking down at us over what looks like a wooden slat fence. I see my father and brother directly above my mother and myself. They don't appear happy to see us. My mother is holding my hand but it doesn't feel right. Something is missing. I look at her face and watch a tear stream from her eye to her ear.

Another order is given and I realize that the men and boys are lowering the fence by using thick ropes which are tied to the crossbeams. The fence is going to crush us!

I ask my mother, "Mommy are we going to die"?

She responds angrily through her tears, "Don't be so stupid".

I feel the weight of the fence crushing my feet, my knees, my hips, pushing me deeper into the earth. Then, the weight hits my chest. I gasp.

And wake up.

5 Comments:

At 12:09 a.m., Blogger Naughti Biscotti said...

Do you have any idea what it means? It is interesting to note that both dreams address gender differences; in the first you are a male, in the second you and your mother (both female) are being crushed while your father and brother (both male) look on. Did males in your home get preferrential treatment? Or was there a male that was somewhat abusive?

 
At 12:24 a.m., Blogger Buffalo said...

You poor child. I think it very indicative of things that have gone on in your life.

 
At 12:30 a.m., Blogger Anna said...

I did look this one up... apparently, it's to do with my mother trying to crush my spirit; to mold me into a more acceptable (to her, anyway) version of myself.

Yes, males had and still have preferential treatment in my family of origin.

 
At 6:59 a.m., Blogger Jim said...

Ouch! Really, we're not ALL bad! Since preferential treatment comes in many shapes and sizes, I know what you mean. It's one of the worst things you can go through in the younger, formative years.

Turning your back on that kind of thing is hard, but sometimes you've gotta take care of yourself first.

 
At 9:41 a.m., Blogger Anna said...

Thanks Jim;

And for the record, I love men. For whatever reason, my mother's skewed view of the world didn't rub off on me quite the way she intended. (yay!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home