Sunday, May 01, 2005

It's Always Darkest Before the Dawn

On Wednesday, Shandi wrote Borders Blurt Out which you can find on her blog: http://shandiesthoughts.blogspot.com/ (I know, I know, my links still suck).
Her words triggered a memory of a time when I realized that life as I knew it was ending. I'm not really a poetry kinda girl, but this one by Veronica A. Shoffstall resonated with me, giving me much comfort.

Comes the Dawn

After awhile you learn the subtle difference between holding a hand and chaining a soul
And you learn that love doesn't mean security
And you learn that kisses aren't contracts
And presents aren't promises
And you begin to accept your defeat
With your head up and your eyes open
With the grace of a woman, not the grief of a child
And you learn to build all your roads
On today because tomorrow's ground
Is too uncertain for plans and futures have a way
Of falling down in midflight;
After awhile you learn that even sunshine burns
If you get too much
And so you plant your own garden and decorate your own soul
Instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers
And you learn that you can endure
That you really are strong
And you really do have worth.
And you learn and learn.
With every goodbye, you learn.

2 Comments:

At 7:15 p.m., Blogger Buffalo said...

Truly excellent and truly true.

 
At 12:27 a.m., Blogger JL Pagano said...

You don't have to be a poetry kinda anything to appreciate that. Thank you for both remembering it and posting it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home