Saturday, April 16, 2005

Start As You Mean To Go On

Well, I managed to get through my first week at work. I'd love to tell you exactly what my new job entails, but I'm still not entirely certain. I know that I work with people who were homeless in a transitional program that is meant to boost their skills and confidence so that they will be able to manage to pay their rent, get their kids to school and generally be functioning tenants. So far as I can tell, the people chosen for this program are actually capable of success; excellent! I also know that during my first week I managed to have my neighbour offend my boss and use my name in the process and put my foot squarely into some deep shit that's brewing between the two managers in the project. GO Shan!

In other news, our new mattress was delivered on Friday. I went to bed at 9 and spent thirteen hours there. It felt sooooooooo good. Honestly, I haven't slept that well without the aid of medication in the 11 months we've lived in this house. Not that there's anything wrong with medication. I just prefer my drugs to provide a little more entertainment than oblivion. I'm like that, though.

When I finally dragged my ass off my new lil piece of heaven it was to the ringing of the mobile. I was late. For a date. I reluctantly recalled promising to act as buffer for my friend and her mom who's visiting from across the ocean. Dayam.

So, with girlchild in tow I headed for town and the Dublin City Bus Tour. This tour takes place on a double decker bus, just like every other city tour in Europe. The only difference is that this one is actually very good. The drivers provide live commentary and, if you get one whose accent you can understand, they are really very funny. I believe it's the best touristy type thing one can do in this town and I drag every visitor I meet into town for a trip on the green and cream. (Do NOT under any circumstances get on the red bus - it costs more, the route's the same and the commentary is recorded...and boring.) At this point, I think the Dublin Bus should be paying me to take this tour.

The mom decided she needed to see the Book of Kells. Girlchild and I offered to scout for a trad session. We had no luck as it was Saturday and everything starts late on the weekend. The consolation prize was a basket of wings and cherry soda at the Elephant & Castle. Girlchild ate all the celery but I was feeling indulgent so I didn't fight her for it.

We arrived home around 7pm. Hubby had a bottle of wine breathing and dinner ready. Evidently, he had plans of his own for the new mattress. When it was established that everything was in working order, I drifted off for a few more hours of blissful slumber. Then hubby got up and went to work. He gets paid double to work on a Sunday, so it's hard to complain.

After yanking my unibrow into some semblance of ordered duality, I headed for the mall to perform many hunting and gathering type tasks while catching up with a friend. When I returned, I made dinner for the kids, dealt with the aftermath of the bomb that hit my living room while I was out, did some laundry and made sure everyone was ready for the week ahead.

Then I sat down to read what you'd written today. Buffalo, who I depend on a lot, came through. The rest of you took today off. Which, I suppose, is what afforded me the opportunity to post. I'd love to tell you it all went smoothly but eircom is a piece of shit and keeps disconnecting me. I lost several paragraphs of wit that I'll never get back. This post was meant to end when it was still light outside. But now it doesn't.

So thanks to eircom, I have no clever conclusion. I need dsl in the worst way!

2 Comments:

At 4:57 p.m., Blogger Buffalo said...

Why are these people homeless? Lack of skills, divorce, mental illness? Are there families or are they single parents?

Sounds like a job well worth doing.

Excellent read, Shan. Enjoyed it.

 
At 7:35 p.m., Blogger JL Pagano said...

One of these days, I'm gonna go on the darn tour ... been meaning to for ever ...

Glad the job's goin well for ya.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home