Thursday, March 31, 2005

Fed Up

Over the course of my life, I have lost enough weight to make up an entire person. Not all at once, mind you. Nope... I get rid of it, feel great for a while, get challenged by something of the emotional persuasion, gain it all back (and a few extra pounds for good measure) and then start the process all over again.

It's a horrible experience. But, it feels familiar. Which almost makes it comfortable in a twisted kinda way.

I acknowledged earlier this week that food is the only thing that has been consistently available to me throughout my life. Therefore, once upon a time when I was a very little girl, my little brain made an important link between eating and feeling good. So, I eat when I feel good. I also eat when I want to feel good. Who doesn't want to feel good?

For the past few months, as I've been regaining weight that I thought was gone forever, I've observed myself during meals. I have sat and thought, "I'm full," and then continued to eat. And then, "I'm full and I need to stop", only to continue to eat. "Okay, this is silly", my rational mind will say, "stop now, you've had more than enough," when there are about half a dozen bites of food left on the plate. And then there's a short, blank period.

Suddenly, the plate is clean and I'm so full it hurts. Shame overwhelms me. I consider going to the bathroom and purging, but I don't. That's too easy. A short term fix to a long term problem. I don't deserve that. I need to experience the consequences of my behaviour; the bloating, the searing sensation in my gut as my body tries to process the overload, the physical pain of the waistband of my pants cutting into my skin. Miserable, fat and stupid; trying to walk it off causes more discomfort so I sit until the feeling passes. Eventually, it does.

I promise myself that I won't do that again. It's not worth the pain. I'm smarter than that, there's no earthly reason to hurt myself like that, etc etc. Back on track I get, sometimes I lose the weight and sometimes it's just a few decent meals before BAM! something happens and there I go again.

I need to replace using food to meet my needs for love, security, comfort, acceptance and celebration with some other behaviour. I have no idea what that behaviour will be. I'm not even sure of what it could be. I am open to suggestion.

8 Comments:

At 5:44 p.m., Blogger Buffalo said...

I know exactly how you feel. Been there, done that, worn out several T shirts and am back there again.

If you figure it out, please let me know.

 
At 9:07 p.m., Blogger JL Pagano said...

"I need to replace using food to meet my needs for love, security, comfort, acceptance and celebration with some other behaviour. I have no idea what that behaviour will be."

Extremely well put, Shan. Just read that sentence whenever you feel hungry. I lost a few pounds myself just reading it!

Knowing what you are missing brings you halfway to getting it back.

 
At 3:15 a.m., Blogger Mike Todd said...

Woo hooo! I just got the 1,000 click. Did I win anything?

I hope you enjoy four-digit land. Don't forget the little people.

 
At 10:25 a.m., Blogger okstatendn said...

I can relate. I started a before and after picture thing. Weighed in for the before picture at 202. After picture is tomorrow, and right now I'm tipping the scale at 216. Go me!

 
At 6:39 p.m., Blogger Anna said...

Thanks, guys.... I appreciate all your comments!

Mike, you get the special K ;)

 
At 6:11 p.m., Blogger alley rat said...

hey-

you said something about not "deserving" to purge, as though you need to punish yourself by feeling the discomfort of having overeaten.

i would say: while you're looking for something to replace the eating, please try not to feel that shame. and to me, purging is actually more punishing to your body than feeling full. i'm glad you don't let your self do it.

this might sound cliche, but exercise really helps.
also, if you learn some yoga breathing or other yoga techniques, they can calm you down and make you feel more centered. seriously, it works.

good luck!

 
At 11:50 p.m., Blogger Anna said...

Thanks alley rat...all positive intention helps!

 
At 9:49 a.m., Blogger JL Pagano said...

Hi Shan,

I'm leaving this comment on an old post of yours in the hope that you get comments sent to your email like I do.

I am constantly moved by your posts and the emotions the contain. If you ever want to email me and vent your spleen even further, please feel free.

jlpagano@eircom.net

Having said that, I would also understand if you want to maintain anonymity, so if that's the case don't feel obligated to reply!

Sometimes its good to know there's at least someone willing to listen ;-)

All the best,

JLP

 

Post a Comment

<< Home