Friday, March 18, 2005

On the Other Hand

After having spent the last few days explaining all the things about Ireland that make me laugh, cry and want to smash my head against a brick wall, I think it's about time to share some of the things that I love about this country; ergo, what the hell I'm still doing here after two years and change. So in no particular order, here are a few of my favourite things:

  • Dublin City Centre. I love this place. I'm drawn to the architecture, the history and the culture. I go to town as often as possible. Once there, my current mood will determine how I'll spend the day - will I shop til I drop on Henry Street? Stroll through St Stephen's Green? Lose myself in the Chester Beatty Library? Hang out and ride the tourist wave in Temple Bar? Pub crawl, crossing the Liffey by way of a different bridge each time? Check out the buskers on Grafton Street? Explore a corner I've yet to see? Whatever I choose, I know I won't be disappointed; Dublin is just that cool.
  • The weather. I know, I know, everybody complains about the weather in Ireland. Guess what? It's a conspiracy. Ireland is a small country already almost overrun with tourists and the like so...They made up this story that the weather is always crappy to keep people away! At least, that's my theory. I find the weather really quite lovely. It almost never snows in winter and I've yet to have to shovel rain. June and September are usually warm and fairly dry if not sunny. There is almost always a breeze and you're never dying of heat prostration. All good says I!
  • My home/family life. I love that I can look out my front window and see twenty children playing on the green. I love that it's a cul de sac and that the kids have the right of way. I love that we have neighbourhood barbeques where we all drag our stuff outside and share. I love that the Irish Sea is within walking distance of my house. I love that the butchers at the grocery store know my name. I love that my children go to a multi-cultural, multi-denominational, democratically run public school.
  • You're a Star. Now I don't mean just the competition leading up to the Eurovision, (which by the way, I think is brilliant) I use this phrase as a description of how Irish people love to perform. I love that people will sing, dance, tell jokes and act in theatrical productions, all on demand. Absolutely fabulous.
  • Newgrange. This is one of the most incredible spiritual places I have ever been. Built some five thousand years before the pyramids, it stirs my soul and touches the core of my being every time. When I'm there I always feel as though I know everything and nothing all at once; I am ancient about to be born.
  • Ryanair. This airline has made continental Europe accessible to we commoners. The only way to fly for less would be to grow a set of wings.
  • Cork. The city of culture for 2005. Wow!
  • Blarney. A lovely little village just outside Cork where the infamous Blarney Stone was kissed by yours truly in January. Also the location of an ancient Druid site. Truly a magical place. The Blarney Park Hotel and the local Indian restaurant were delightful and accommodating and really made this place sparkle.

Wow, a few turned into eight pretty quickly! There are more, but until An Post delivers my cheque from the Tourist Board, I'll say no more...

2 Comments:

At 10:21 p.m., Blogger Buffalo said...

Sounds as though it would be a Garden of Eden if only Pat hadn't driven out the snakes.

 
At 11:44 a.m., Blogger JL Pagano said...

Good one...

You have made me start to worry about myself though, because I realised that when I go into the City Centre, I ask myself...

Will I go to Doyle's? Or Sinnotts? Or Major Tom's? Or Whelan's? etc etc etc.......

 

Post a Comment

<< Home