Sunday, June 18, 2006

A Smell to Remember

I was lucky this morning and had coffee delivered to my bedside. There is something about the smells and sensations of fresh air and coffee in the morning that trigger my camping gene. I've been a camper my whole life. I love life outdoors.

Of course, I love it on my terms. I've totally outgrown the desire to test my survival skills in any way. I'm happy enough to set up tents and put campstoves together; to chop wood and light fires but I want to be clean and comfortable and have everything I need within reach.

For me, camping is more than just one way to spend a vacation. It's about letting go of the clock and living on our own terms. Eating when we're hungry, sleeping when we're tired, swimming, reading and playing when the mood strikes us. Wearing as few or as many clothes as feels comfortable and not worrying about whether they match. Watching the sunrise and the sunset and counting the stars in the night sky. Toasting marshmallows in the campfire. Ensuring the kids are asleep and sneaking off to make love in the night air...

I think it's about time to book a camping trip. Amazing what a cup of coffee can do, isn't it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home