Friday, June 09, 2006

Ireland is Bi-Polar

It has been sunny here for some six days in a row. The difference in the Irish colletive conscience when the weather is cooperating is just incredible. Everyone is happier, everyone is nicer and everyone is eating ice cream (except me, of course).

I was actually starting to feel a little uncomfortable with all the manic joy surrounding me until I was on the train home from work this evening and the woman beside me complained loudly for the entire journey that she was too hot. As strange as it may sound, I was actually comforted by the hearing a complaint. Having said that, if it rains tomorrow, I am gonna hunt her down!

It's amazing how much information you can glean about someone when you sit on a train beside them for a few minutes. Crossword and suduko done, I ran out of ways to amuse myself and couldn't help but overhear. I learned her name, the town she lives in and that she's planning an intimate wedding that most of her family is not invited to; which, by the way, they don't know yet. I was also able to trace her accent to within a 3 mile radius.

I managed to get off the train before I learned anything more. As I walked by the pub, I nearly stepped in what used to be the contents of someone's stomach. Ah, yes, the sweet smells of a sunny Friday in the Beer Garden. An Irish summer indeed...

1 Comments:

At 5:49 p.m., Blogger BrianAlt said...

Isn't it amazing the wealth of information people give out about themselves in public?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home