Monday, October 10, 2005

Since I posted last I've taken some steps in the right direction... I've quit eating nearly everything that's any fun; stopped drinking caffeine and have reduced my intake of wine (although, not enough). And guess what? I feel better. Imagine that!

The guy who does my hair told me he had the perfect diet advice. He said, "if it tastes good at all, just spit it out!"

I took that advice with me when we went to visit my parents this past summer. After this lovely turkey dinner, my mom put a tray laden with homemade baking on the table. I worked my way through the tray, picking up squares and cookies, cakes and sweets, taking one bite of each and passing the rest to hubby or one of the kids to eat. I'm not sure which was more fun; tasting all that great baking or watching my mother's face as she tried to deal with the fact that I wasn't eating "properly". Of course, she then got sloshed and attacked on another front...

She emailed recently; a few paragraphs of news I'd already received from other sources with a large helping of attempted guilt thrown in. I didn't bite. Of course, I haven't responded either, so maybe that's a form of biting in its own right. It's interesting to hear other people's perspectives on mothers. The Irish people that I've discussed it with seem to think that mothers are exempt from any rules governing behaviour. Of course, they are all daughters with mothers similar to my own... it does seem to work for them, though.

Well, it's 4am and my virus scanner wants to go to work. Guess I'll try to post this and find my pillow.

4 Comments:

At 7:13 p.m., Blogger Buffalo said...

I'm really proud of you!

 
At 8:38 p.m., Blogger JL Pagano said...

Your mom and my mom should go shopping.

 
At 2:36 a.m., Blogger Greg - Cowboy in the Jungle said...

I know the feeling. I just had a heart scare and I'm now officially on the "Crappy Flavor" diet. Oh! And let me tell you, it's all the rage.

 
At 2:30 p.m., Blogger kitty said...

must be something in the air.... can't they come up with a salad dressing that makes your lettuce taste like a pizza or some chocolate cake?!?!

I heard something once that always makes me think... I believe it was Garfield who said:

'DIET is DIE with a T'

 

Post a Comment

<< Home