Sunday, February 20, 2005

Obrigado, Portugal

I always thought r&r meant rest and relaxation...exactly what I had planned for my short trip to Portugal. My whirlwind adventure didn't exactly turn out that way. As it turns out, there are many r words that more aptly describe my little adventure.

Day 1 - reunion and revelry. Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous. Although probably somewhat too boisterous for the people around us, it was contagious because soon they too were smiling and laughing! By the way, chicken piri-piri was a wonderful introduction to Portuguese cuisine.

Day 2 - reading and rotgut This is how I spent the day while my friend slept it off, periodically rising to wretch. When she was able, we went for dinner, which was cheap and plentiful and tasty. Unfortunately, we froze our asses off in the process. Who knew how cold it would be when the sun went down?!?

Day 3 - reboarding and resentment This was our experience of the bus tour of the Algarve, the region we were visiting. I won't get into all the gory details, but suffice it to say that we spent more time getting off and on the bus than doing anything else. Well, that and plotting ways to murder our tour guide slash elocution instructor. Shaddup already! Jaysis.

Day 4 - revolutions and reststops. Another bus tour - this one to the capital. Due to the structure of the tour, we had very little time in this truly beautiful capital. Definitely on my list of places to explore more thoroughly.

Day 5 - return and reunions. Home again, home again, diggity dog. Hugs, kisses and presents all around. It was a small circle, but a beautiful one.

3 Comments:

At 10:09 p.m., Blogger Buffalo said...

I'm envious of your travels!

 
At 11:58 a.m., Blogger JL Pagano said...

Hi Shan,

I have an R & R for your blog; "readable and refreshing"! I have ya bookmarked! Yours is the first interesting Irish blog I’ve seen so far! Have you come across any more yourself?

JL Pagano

 
At 11:59 a.m., Blogger JL Pagano said...

Just so ya know ... every time I hit "refresh" when your blog is on the hit counter goes up one - I think there's a setting you can change to stop that. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home