Sunday, October 16, 2005

Fall Fowl

In Canada, Thanksgiving is celebrated on the Monday after the harvest moon. It fell on the tenth of October this year. Due to the fact that getting a turkey "off-season" here is like trying to buy alcohol during the prohibition, we had to put the date of our celebration off until today.

As (my) luck would have it, the butcher wasn't able to get a whole turkey; instead of letting me know, he went ahead and ordered the equivalent amount of turkey breast. And then cooked it. Now, I'm not a huge fan of turkey breast at the best of times. I'm a dark meat kinda girl. So, you can imagine how I felt when I was presented with this lump of meat which, by the time I'm done reheating it is going to be the texture of an eraser. Delighted.

To add that special touch, hubby decided he didn't want to invite people to join us this year. In fairness, the past two Thanksgivings have turned out to be huge parties and I wasn't really up for that this year either. But, I did think we'd have a few people over; I envisioned a dinner party type of affair, perhaps two other couples and their children. Uh..No.

So, here I am with enough eraser to feed about 24 people and nobody to feed it to on my favourite holiday.

I am thankful. Truly I am. It's just caught in my throat at the moment. I'm sure the wine will help.

2 Comments:

At 10:48 p.m., Blogger Buffalo said...

Idle curiousity prompts me to ask, "When and what is the turkey season in Ireland?"

 
At 4:57 a.m., Blogger Greg - Cowboy in the Jungle said...

I feel like a real *dumdum* and definetly not like a *smartie*. Apparently when it comes to spotting candy bars, I'm a total *zero* or a *dud*.

Thanks to the tip off by Shan, it's now *payday*. And all this time I thought it was an Irish *whatchamacallit* or language difference.

What can I say? Some times you feel like a nut!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home