Sunday, October 22, 2006

Settled Travellers

I think we may have finally crossed the line between tourists and residents. We bought a car. It's an old banger of a thing and has a manual transmission. Neither hubby nor I had ever driven standard before. "How hard can it be?" I asked. Hubby was convinced it was beyond him. When a friend pointed out that lil ole ladies manage it every day, he reconsidered.

Turns out, I was right. It's really not difficult. A bit of practice and some bright red L's and Bob's yer uncle. We're so comfortable that we're off later today to take the kids to the skateboard park. This is significant because to access this place by public transport would take upwards of two hours. It will take fifteen minutes in the car.

I have a feeling that there will be some serious changes in our way of life here now. Places that were so difficult they might as well be impossible to get to are now open to us. All we have to do is jump in the car, put our seatbelts on and roar at the kids such family favourites as, "Don't MAKE me turn this car around!" How normal, how settled.

Hmm, might be time to move.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home