Sunday, April 22, 2007

My Two Cents about the Virginia Tech Incident

First let me say that I agree that the gun laws in the US are not stringent enough nor are they applied appropriately. Having said that, I think that there is an element to this event that has been overlooked and that is that there is precedent.

I believe that once a culture experiences an event such as this one, it paves the way for it to happen again. Add to that the amount of attention an incident like this gets and the fact that we actually are so far away from any meaningful way of treating most mental illness and we have an undeniable recipe for disaster.

There is no single answer to this deeply disturbing issue. I really think that if society is going to address this type of behaviour in any meaningful way, people need to let go of their need to protect any one group's individual interests and start working together at finding effective strategies for addressing what is fast becoming all too normal.

1 Comments:

At 4:31 a.m., Blogger Big Ben said...

good post, agreed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home